18 Mar Best Sandbelt Public Golf Courses
The Melbourne Sandbelt is a region in the southeast of Melbourne’s CBD, best known for its sandy soil. The amazing soil is particularly suitable for golf courses as it is easy to place bunkers without carrying sand from one place to another. This region boasts an incredible group of golf courses that incorporate with the golden age of golf architecture. This is the reason why this region is the home to major championships, and you would be truly spoilt for choice when it comes to private golf courses along with possibly some of the best public courses in the world.
In this article, we cover some of the best public golf courses in the Sandbelt region for your convenience.
Spring Park Golf Course is one of the hidden gems of Victories Sandbelt region. It was formerly known as original Southern Golf Club. The initial layout of this course was designed by Sam Berriman. Spring Park gained its own identity as Southern Golf Course relocated six of its holes in the 1970’s to redesign a complete 9-hole golf course.
This golf course is one of Melbourne’s loveliest 9-hole golf courses. The course has a nice botanical setting, well-maintained greens, and well-grassed fairways, the reason why it made it to the list of our public golf courses in the Sandbelt region. The combination of ample bunkering and water hazards provides a challenge for golfers of all levels.
- Spring Park Golf Course is a 9-hole public golf course.
- It has a practice area with driving nets and a chip and putt area for golfers to improve their technique and accuracy.
- Hole-by-hole course guide from local professional Darren Huntley.
- Perfect for any corporate event, Christmas or birthday party, farewell or some other special occasion.
- Two mini-golf courses exclusively designed to challenge mini golfers of all abilities.
Sandringham is one of the premier public golf courses in Victoria and is a perfect choice for those of looking for a fun round and an inexpensive green fee. This 18-hole golf course was designed by famous golf course architect Vern Morcom. Because of its real sandbelt golf features, many of the leading armature golfers have been drawn to this golf course.
This golf course also offers school-age children 16 years and under to play for free. Juniors have to play with a parent or guardian. Their tee times are available after 1.30 pm. They also run special coaching clinics every Sunday and through the school holidays at a reasonable price.
- Sandringham Golf Course is an 18-hole public golf course.
- Perfect for any Social and Corporate events.
- Private or group coaching sessions by PGA professional Brendan Green.
- Electric Golf Carts are available for hire.
- Buggies are also available.
Centenary Park is a decent public access course, situated alongside the new Peninsula Link road. This 18-hole golf course features an interesting and challenging layout that offers golfers something different at each hole. It’s a 6,197m par 72 course which makes it one of the longest public golf courses in Melbourne. This golf course offers some exciting water features which create quality golfing experience. Centenary Park recently added a full-length driving range which is a perfect place to hone your skills.
- Centenary Park Golf Course is an 18-hole public golf course.
- Driving range available.
- They have a fully equipped golf shop to fit in your bag.
- Golf lessons are also available there.
Ranfurlie Golf Club is one of the best public golf courses in Australia and Golf Australia’s 66th ranked course. It has gone through a number of transformations before opening in the Autumn of 2020. This outstanding course was designed by Mike Clayton. It combines both traditional links-style layouts with typical sandbelt golf which means, loads of bunkers. It’s equipped with first-class facilities and you will be amazed once you visit the golf course.
- Ranfurlie Golf Club is an 18-hole course.
- Recently added a state of the art public driving range.
- Facilities include- Pro Shop, Bar, Café, Function space, Driving range
- Ideal for social groups and events.
- Coaching available.
Brighton is an 18-hole public golf course with lush greens, gentle undulating watered fairways. In Brighton, you will find a true test of Sandbelt golf, with short and tricky holes. It will test golfers of all levels with its narrow fairways and small bunkered greens. With its great drainage system, you will enjoy incredible fairways all year round with a large number of trees and bird-life to add to your experience.
- Brighton is an 18-hole public golf course.
- It has a well equipped Pro Shop with major brands including- Cobra, Ping, Callaway and Footjoy.
- In Brighton, lessons are provided for all levels of experience.
- Its junior clinic aims to teach young golfers the basic fundamentals of golf.
- PGA professionals Zac Morwood and Jaydon Vaenuku– both are available for group and private lessons.
Above are some of the public golf courses which offer remarkable layouts and facilities that many golfers crave for. If you are looking for public golf courses in the Sandbelt region and have no one to golf with, the Deemples golf app is here for you.
We will make sure you never golf alone. All you need is to create a game using the app and let others join you. Click here to find out more!