27 Feb Top 10 Golf Courses in Melbourne
If the golf game had a Mecca, it might just be somewhere in the south-eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Some of the golf courses here in Melbourne are amongst the finest in the world. As the city is the capital for all things cultured in Australia, Melbourne also possesses a reputation and position as an Australian golfing paradise. It was a real challenge to choose only 10 of the best when this list could easily have been far longer, and here they are in no particular order.
Among the top 10 golf courses in Melbourne comes the name of Royal Melbourne Golf Club. Located in Black Rock, Victoria, a suburb southeast of Melbourne, Royal Melbourne Golf Club is a 36-hole golf club. This golf course was founded 129 years ago in 1891 and is one of the oldest golf courses in Melbourne. Royal Melbourne consists of two courses – the West Course and the East Course. Dr. Alister MacKenzie designed the West Course, and Alex Russell designed the East Course.
The East Course is less popular than its world-famous sister course, but it has been held in very high regard since its establishment. It was recently named no. 1 in Australia and no. 3 in the world by Golf Digest. The East course also made its position in the top 20 by the same Golf Digest ranking. Needless to say, if you live down under and love golf, playing in this amazing golf course is a must for any golfers bucket list.
- Recognized as one of the leading golf clubs in Australia with two top-ranked golf courses.
- Since establishment Royal Melbourne Golf Club has been hosted numerous national and international tournaments.
- The West course consistently ranks on the top 10 golf course list in the world.
- Hosted the Presidents Cup in November 2011 and December 2019.
- It was the site of the Women’s Australian Open in February 2012.
- It comes with world-class facilities for its members.
Kingston Heath Golf Club is one of the leading and premier golf clubs located in the Sandbelt area. Back in 2010, this golf course was rated as the most outstanding and premier golf course by Australian Golf Digest for its promising layouts, shot-making, condition, and strategy.
Previously known as the Elsternwick Golf Club, this golf course was established in 1909, before relocating to Heatherton in 1925 as Kingston Heath. This golf course was designed by Dan Soutar with the advice of Alister MacKenzie. Though the course opened as a par 82 but currently plays to a par of 72, at 6,352 meters from the Medal tees.
- It is one of the premier golf courses in Australia.
- Kingston has hosted the Australian Open seven times and the Australian Match Play Championships seven times.
- It has a highly exclusive club for its members.
- This golf course is the preferred Australian venue of the International Final Qualifying for The Open Championship, help each year in January.
- Made its way to the top 20 in Golf Digest ranking of the world’s 100 greatest golf courses.
Located in Melbourne’s famous Sandbelt golf region, Peninsula Kingswood Country Golf Club is the home to two championship golf courses. This amazing golf club is only 35 minutes away from Melbourne CBD at the southern tip of Sandbelt and the northern boundary of the incredible Mornington Peninsula. The two championship golf courses- The North Course & The South Course, each pleases golfers from all walks of life.
The sandy and undulating ground will give you a true Sandbelt experience in the North Course. Its firm and fast tilted greens, expensive bunkers, wide fairways, and native grasses will amaze you.
The South Course is longer, flatter and is more open than the North. It comes with a stunning view across its fairways. The bunkering and green puts a premium on positioning from the tee. You will get a true test of strategic golf playing in the South Course.
- Peninsula Kingswood ranked among Australia’s top 100 golf courses by Golf Digest.
- Facilities include luxury accommodation, 25- meter indoor swimming pool, gymnasium, tennis court, bowling green and games room.
- Two championship courses- The North Course & The South Course.
- Peninsula Kingswood has a Variety of practice facilities for its members to enjoy.
- Other facilities include an indoor golf simulator, bunker practice, two chipping greens and six putting greens.
Situated at Bentleigh East, a suburb southeast, Victoria, Australia, Yarra Yarra Golf Club is a private golf course. Yarra Yarra is one of Melbourne’s most famous golf clubs. It boasts an immaculately designed Sandbelt golf course and Clubhouse heritage. Famous architect Alex Russel designed this outstanding course with the association of the famed Dr. Alister Mackenzie.
Yarra Yarra ranked top among the finest examples of golf course architecture in both the southern hemisphere and worldwide for its four par 3 holes, the reason why it made it place to the top 10 golf courses in Melbourne. If for whatever reason, you decide not to play all the other world-renowned courses that share the same postcode as Yarra Yarra, it’s definitely not going to let you down.
- Yarra Yarra is an 18 hole private golf course.
- It has hosted the Women’s Australian Open seven times and the Victorian Open several times.
- High-quality service.
- Well equipped golf shop and knowledgeable PGA professional to advise you with all matters golf-related.
- You will get an extensive range of golf equipments and accessories at Yerra Yerra.
The Metropolitan Golf Club is one of Melbourne’s famous Sandbelt courses and is widely recognized as one of Australia’s finest championship courses. This golf course was designed by JB MacKenzie in 1908. The Metropolitan is a private golf club and is restricted to members and their guests.
This remarkably built golf course has a reputation as one of the best-conditioned year-round courses in Australia. It also has placed in the top 20 of Golf Digest’s 100 best Australian courses. The Metropolitan Golf Club perfectly illustrates why the Melbourne Sandbelt golf courses are consistently ranked among the best in the world. Fairways with the smoothness and uniformity of the carpet are cut out of the contrasting ragged native scrub and strategically placed bunkers flank every green and hinge every curve in the freeway.
- The Metropolitan is an 18-hole private golf club.
- Made its way to the top 20 of Golf Digest’s 100 best Australian courses.
- Hosted the PGA World Cup of Golf in 2018.
- Experienced caddies are available.
The National Golf Club is located just a short drive south of Melbourne, Cape Schanck on Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula. The Club has three outstanding and highly rated 18-hole golf courses, the Old Course (Robert Trent Jones Jr.), the Moonah Course (Greg Norman), and the Gunnamatta Course (Tom Doak), making it the best golf site in the world.
Founded in 1985, this golf course is Australia’s largest private members golf club that also allows selected groups to play the fine courses and use their excellent facilities. These groups include interstate and overseas visitors.
The state-of-the-art Clubhouse has a surrounding of beautiful wild plants and breathtaking sea views. It overlooks the Moonah and Gunnamatta courses constructed on rolling sand dunes in the iconic ‘Links Land’ and is the location for events and celebrations.
- The National Golf Club is an exclusive private club.
- 3 magnificently designed 18-hole courses.
- Facilities include: Driving Range, Short Game practice areas, restaurants, and a bar.
- Open to members and invited guests.
The Commonwealth Golf Club is an 18-hole championship golf course, situated in the world-famous Sandbelt region. It is one of Australia’s top championship golf courses that is a true test for golfers of all skill levels.
This golf course has a long legacy, dating back to 1920. Commonwealth Golf Club is famous for its majestic tree-lined fairways, strategic bunkering and subtle sloping greens that call for accurate shots. The Commonwealth has been and remains a golfing home to many of Australia’s best golfers. The Club’s Honorary Boards featuring names such as Jarrod Lyle and the 2017 Greg Norman Medalist Marc Leishman.
- Commonwealth is an 18-hole golf course.
- It has hosted a number of major golfing championships which include the Australian Open, Women’s Australian Open and Victorian Open.
- This golf club also hosted a number of National and State Amateur Championships.
The Victoria Golf Club is tossing its hat into the ring as yet another world-class golf club in the Melbourne Sandbelt. Oscar Damman and Bill Meade with the assistance of famous architect Dr. Alister MacKenzie, designed this amazing golf course. Victoria is also open for interstate and overseas guests who are members of golf clubs, depending on the availability.
The course is an excellent example of great architecture that allows the course to host the best players in the world under tournament conditions, but still enjoyable to the club golfer.
- Victoria Golf Club is an 18-hole private golf course.
- This par-72 course has hosted many major events over the years, including the Australian Open and the Women’s Australian Open.
- It also hosted President George Bush Sr. in 1998.
- Caddies available.
The Spring Valley Golf Club is home to one of Melbourne’s renowned Sandbelt courses, undoubtedly one of the best in Australia. Designed by architect H. V. Morcom, this golf course has hosted many prestigious tournaments over the years. This outstanding golf course undoubtedly fits in our top 10 golf courses in Melbourne.
- It is an 18-hole golf course in Sandbelt, Melbourne.
- Rated #41 best course in Australia by Golf Australia magazine.
- Made its place to the top 10 in Metropolitan Melbourne.
- A stylish clubhouse that can accommodate up to 300 guests.
Founded in 1941, Huntingdale Golf Club is located in Oakleigh South Melbourne, Australia. Sam Beriman designed this outstanding 18-hole golf club. Huntingdale is one of the best golf courses in Melbourne and is popular in the area. For thirty consecutive years, it hosted the Australian Masters. Thus, they call it the ‘Home of the Australian Masters’. The bunkering location associated with the courses in the area ensures an equally challenging and rewarding game.
- Huntingdale Golf Club is an 18-hole golf course.
- Hosted Australian Masters for thirty years.
- Has a sophisticated, award-winning clubhouse.
As Melbourne is best known for its vast choices of golf courses, these are our picks for the top 10 golf courses in Melbourne.
The best part about some of these golf courses is that they provide golfing experience for the overseas members! If you are in Melbourne and have no one to play golf with, Deemples golf app is here to help you. We help you find, connect and match with golfers nearby. All you need to create a game using the app and let others join you. Click here to find out more!