11 Apr Golf Courses in Melbourne
Melbourne is best known for its trendy, diverse metropolis, vibrant city centre, inner-city neighbourhoods full of unique character, and lush green parks and mountain ranges. But these are not the only things Melbourne is all about. Melbourne has a number of golf courses to offer.
Among the long list of golf courses, the following are some of our picks of the golf courses in Melbourne.
Located in Melbourne’s famous Sandbelt golf region, Peninsula Kingswood Country Golf Club is the home to two championship golf courses. This amazing golf club is only 35 minutes away from Melbourne CBD at the southern tip of Sandbelt and the northern boundary of the incredible Mornington Peninsula. The two championship golf courses- The North Course & The South Course, each pleases golfers from all walks of life.
The sandy and undulating ground will give you a true Sandbelt experience in the North Course. Its firm and fast tilted greens, expensive bunkers, wide fairways, and native grasses will amaze you.
The South Course is longer, flatter and is more open than the North. It comes with a stunning view across its fairways. The bunkering and green puts a premium on positioning from the tee. You will get a true test of strategic golf playing in the South Course.
- Peninsula Kingswood ranked among Australia’s top 100 golf courses by Golf Digest.
- Facilities include luxury accommodation, 25- meter indoor swimming pool, gymnasium, tennis court, bowling green and games room.
- Two championship courses- The North Course & The South Course.
- Peninsula Kingswood has a Variety of practice facilities for its members to enjoy.
- Other facilities include an indoor golf simulator, bunker practice, two chipping greens and six putting greens.
The Victoria Golf Club is tossing its hat into the ring as yet another world-class golf club in the Melbourne Sandbelt. Oscar Damman and Bill Meade with the assistance of famous architect Dr. Alister MacKenzie, designed this amazing golf course. Victoria is also open for interstate and overseas guests who are members of golf clubs, depending on the availability.
The course is an excellent example of great architecture that allows the course to host the best players in the world under tournament conditions, but still enjoyable to the club golfer.
- Victoria Golf Club is an 18-hole private golf course.
- This par-72 course has hosted many major events over the years, including the Australian Open and the Women’s Australian Open.
- It also hosted President George Bush Sr. in 1998.
- Caddies available.
Among the top 10 golf courses in Melbourne comes the name of Royal Melbourne Golf Club. Located in Black Rock, Victoria, a suburb southeast of Melbourne, Royal Melbourne Golf Club is a 36-hole golf club. This golf course was founded 129 years ago in 1891 and is one of the oldest golf courses in Melbourne. Royal Melbourne consists of two courses – the West Course and the East Course. Dr. Alister MacKenzie designed the West Course, and Alex Russell designed the East Course.
The East Course is less popular than its world-famous sister course, but it has been held in very high regard since its establishment. It was recently named no. 1 in Australia and no. 3 in the world by Golf Digest. The East course also made its position in the top 20 by the same Golf Digest ranking. Needless to say, if you live down under and love golf, playing in this amazing golf course is a must for any golfers bucket list.
- Recognized as one of the leading golf clubs in Australia with two top-ranked golf courses.
- Hosted numerous national and international tournaments.
- The West course consistently ranks on the top 10 golf course list in the world.
- Hosted the Presidents Cup in November 2011 and December 2019.
- It was the site of the Women’s Australian Open in February 2012.
- It comes with world-class facilities for its members.
The Commonwealth Golf Club is an 18-hole championship golf course, situated in the world-famous Sandbelt region. It is one of Australia’s top championship golf courses that is a true test for golfers of all skill levels.
This golf course has a long legacy, dating back to 1920. Commonwealth Golf Club is famous for its majestic tree-lined fairways, strategic bunkering and subtle sloping greens that call for accurate shots. The Commonwealth has been and remains a golfing home to many of Australia’s best golfers. The Club’s Honorary Boards featuring names such as Jarrod Lyle and the 2017 Greg Norman Medalist Marc Leishman.
- Commonwealth is an 18-hole golf course.
- It has hosted a number of major golfing championships which include the Australian Open, Women’s Australian Open and Victorian Open.
- This golf club also hosted a number of National and State Amateur Championships.
Situated at Bentleigh East, a suburb southeast, Victoria, Australia, Yarra Yarra Golf Club is a private golf course. Yarra Yarra is one of Melbourne’s most famous golf clubs. It boasts an immaculately designed Sandbelt golf course and Clubhouse heritage. Famous architect Alex Russel designed this outstanding course with the association of the famed Dr. Alister Mackenzie.
Yarra Yarra ranked top among the finest examples of golf course architecture in both the southern hemisphere and worldwide for its four par 3 holes, the reason why it made it place to the top 10 golf courses in Melbourne. If for whatever reason, you decide not to play all the other world-renowned courses that share the same postcode as Yarra Yarra, it’s definitely not going to let you down.
- Yarra Yarra is an 18 hole private golf course.
- It has hosted the Women’s Australian Open seven times and the Victorian Open several times.
- High-quality service.
- Well equipped golf shop and knowledgeable PGA professional to advise you with all matters golf-related.
- You will get an extensive range of golf equipments and accessories at Yerra Yerra.
The Metropolitan Golf Club is one of Melbourne’s famous Sandbelt courses and is widely recognized as one of Australia’s finest championship courses. This golf course was designed by JB MacKenzie in 1908. The Metropolitan is a private golf club and is restricted to members and their guests.
This remarkably built golf course has a reputation as one of the best-conditioned year-round courses in Australia. It also has placed in the top 20 of Golf Digest’s 100 best Australian courses. The Metropolitan Golf Club perfectly illustrates why the Melbourne Sandbelt golf courses are consistently ranked among the best in the world. Fairways with the smoothness and uniformity of the carpet are cut out of the contrasting ragged native scrub and strategically placed bunkers flank every green and hinge every curve in the freeway.
- The Metropolitan is an 18-hole private golf club.
- Made its way to the top 20 of Golf Digest’s 100 best Australian courses.
- Hosted the PGA World Cup of Golf in 2018.
- Experienced caddies are available.
Nestled along the south-western coast of Melbourne’s Mornington Peninsula, St Andrews Beach will give you the pure experience of golf. This amazing golf course was designed by world renowned course architect, Tom Doak. The St Andrews Beach Gunnamatta Course weaves through a stunning stretch of land evoking the popular UK and Ireland links, with the same consistency as the nearby Melbourne Sandbelt courses.
This classic 18-hole links-style members’ course debuted as the 9th best nationwide in 2006. Since the opening as a public access play in 2009, St Andrews has maintained its position as the number one public access courses on the Australian mainland.
- St Andrews Beach is an 18 hole public access golf club.
- Became the 9th best golf club nationwide in 2006.
- The clubhouse is a relaxing pre- and post-match hub, complete with fully stocked on-course food and beverage cart.
- Fully stocked pro shop.
Yarra Bend golf course was built is 1936 and is recognized as one of the top public golf courses in Melbourne. This golf course is approximately 10 minutes away from Melbourne CBD. This family-friendly golf course is a perfect countryside getaway, without leaving Melbourne city. The original design of this amazing golf course was influenced by Vern Morcom, who has designed many other best golf courses. In recent years, Ogilvy Clayton Cocking Mead and the expert team restored the layout and upgraded the course.
Whether you’re going around the beautiful open access golf course, practising at the driving range, or entertaining your kids with a mini-golf round, you’ll be struck by the beauty of this place. Yarra Bend is a place where everyone feels welcome.
- Yarra Bend is an 18-hole public golf course just minutes outside Melbourne CBD.
- Only 4 km away from Melbourne CBD.
- Partnered with the world’s leading golf retail provider – Titleist.
- It can accommodate small or large groups for functions and events.
- You can also hire Yarra Bend Adventure Golf for private functions.
- They have the world’s most awarded golf coaching team.
With a picturesque setting alongside the Yarra River, Ivanhoe Public Golf Course is an 18-hole, par 68 golf course. This course is located 10km northeast of the Melbourne CBD. The facility offers a wide range of local flora and fauna and is easily accessible via the nearby Eastern Freeway.
With local flora and fauna, you’re sure to enjoy the long par 3’s and try to take advantage of par 4’s before you have to keep your golf balls dry with par 3’s around the wetlands in the inward holes.
- Ivanhoe Public golf course is an 18-hole par 68 golf course.
- It provides an outstanding scenic beauty of the Yarra River.
- Rental services include- Club car, Pro Shop, Restaurant. Trolley
- In the practice area, you will get- Driving range, Pitching/Chipping area, Putting green.
Malvern Valley Public golf course was established in 1934, located off the Monash Freeway and next to Gardiners Creek. This is a sanctuary free from the hustle and bustle of the city, set in a quiet environment. This 18-hole public golf course offers a challenging game for golfers of all skill levels.
This course has its own maintained water supply and they have recently refurbished the Golf Course Hub. The Malvern Valley Golf Course is a big green corridor in a growing urban area. It is one of the main ecological sites of the City of Stonnington, offering habitat and food for local wildlife. A wide variety of birds visit the golf course, including the red-shrunk parrots, the yellow-tailed black cockatoos, and the Kookaburras. Nesting boxes have been installed around the golf course to provide safe nesting sites for our local birdlife.
- Malvern Valley Golf Course is an 18-hole public golf course with a great picturesque.
- No. 1 event and reception centre for Weddings, Business Events, and Celebration.
- Facilities include- Pro Shop, Lessons and Café.
- Only 10 munites away from South/East from the CBD.
- One of the most accessible public golf courses.
Royal Park Golf Club is located on the northern boundary of Royal Park, Melbourne, Victoria. This public golf course is a 9-hole course, only 3km from the city. Royal Park was established is 1903 and has been the nursery for many great golfers including Peter Thomson who won the Open Championship 5 times. This outstanding public golf course offers a wide range of golfing facilities to the golfers.
Royal Park Public Golf Course is located between Carlton and Brunswick in Parkville and is easily accessible by public transport or private car. Corporate and social golf day packages can be used by our licensed clubhouse.
- Royal Park Golf Club is a 9-hole public golf course.
- They have a fully-equipped pro golf shop.
- Facilities include cart hire, club hire, practice range, and an on-site golf pro.
- Only 3km from the city next to the Melbourne Zoo.
- Golf lessons are available from golf professional Michael Lawn.
If you happen to be in Melbourne and are in need some golf mates to golf with, Deemples golf app is here to help you. Just create a game using the app and let others join you. Click here to find out more! Happy Golfing and may you never golf alone again!