As we age, everything starts to slow down. Unfortunately, the golf swing is no exception. Fairway woods can be some of the more difficult clubs in the bag for a senior to hit. To hit a three-wood solid off the turn takes quite a bit of clubhead speed and coordination. Therefore, having the best fairway woods will always be better if you are a senior golfer. Here we have listed the best fairway woods for senior golfers to make your choice easier.
The good news for seniors is that golf club manufacturers have figured out ways to get you more clubhead speed and forgiveness so that you can still compete on those long fairway shots.
List of Best Fairway Woods for Senior Golfers
In this post we will discuss the top 5 best fairway woods for senior golfers, we will give you options for both high and low handicap players and a few budgets picks as well.
1. Cobra F Max Airspeed Fairway Wood
In all honesty, this Cobra was a quick and easy winner in this category. The F Max series that Cobra has been releasing over the last several years has helped so many players to gain more distance and lower their scores.
With their game improvement clubs, Cobra has made all the components lighter. The focus is not just on the clubhead but also on the shaft and grip. The carbon fiber crown on the F Max Airspeed fairway helps to lower the center of gravity and increase clubhead speed.
- Lightweight Design-A lighter overall club weight generates more club speed and distance for golfers with moderate swing speeds.
- Lighter Shaft-A 5 gram lighter shaft allows you to swing faster around your body using the same smooth tempo.
- Carbon Crown-Using a carbon fiber crown saves 10 grams of discretionary weight to create a lighter head without sacrificing forgiveness.
2. TaylorMade SIM MAX Fairway Wood
A runner-up in the best fairway category is the TaylorMade SIM MAX. If we are going to call this a second-place winner, we should clarify that it is a very close second. TaylorMade went all out on their new SIM line, and golfers everywhere are adding this club to their bags.
Similar to the Cobra, the SIM MAX woods have a carbon crown, which has helped to lower the center of gravity and get the ball up in the air.
- Multi-Material Fairway Wood Construction with Steel Body and Carbon Crown: Creates a 185cc head design where weight is positioned precisely in the head for ultra-low CG for explosive distance, high launch, and mid-low spin
- V Steel Sole Design: Designed to improve turf interaction through reduced friction and provides additional versatility when playing from tight or difficult lies
3. Cleveland HB Turbo Launcher Fairway Wood
Right off the bat, one of the best things about this line of fairway woods is that they retail for less than average. Cleveland is so fair about their pricing, considering the technology that they offer.
The Turbo Launcher features the traditional Cleveland Hibore Crown. With the black finish on this club and that HiBore crown, it is one of the best-looking fairways that Cleveland has ever put out.
- Turbocharged cup face: featured solely in the 3-wood, the turbocharged cup face provides higher COR over a larger impact area for increased ball speeds and more distance.
- HI bore Crown: The redesigned HI Bore Crown lowers the center of gravity (CG) by 2. 2mm, enabling a lower CG position for optimal launch conditions.
- Deep weighting: discretionary mass savings positioned for significant increases to MOI, delivering more speed.
4. Wilson D7 Fairway Wood
It’s probably because Wilson is known for their starter sets, but when they put out a reliable Driver, Fairway, or set of irons, they rarely get enough credit.
They have worked hard over the last few years to increase feel across their entire line of clubs. Does it match something like the Callaway Mavrik or the TaylorMade Sim Max? Not if you ask a fell player, but for the average or high handicappers, Wilson is a great option.
- CARPENTER CUSTOM 455 FACE: A premium maraging steel insert provides a thin, hot face increasing both feel and distance performance
- SUPERLIGHT DESIGN: Easy to swing for faster club head speeds
- NEW CROWN: Thin cast pockets provide strength while reducing weight
5. TaylorMade M6 D Type Fairway Wood
Last is our list of top 5 best fairway woods for senior golfers, we have Taylormade M6 D. Anytime you see fairway woods that are offset or are called D Type, they are set up to be draw biased. This essentially means that the clubface is just slightly closed at address, helping to square it up when you hit the ball.
The M6 was the hot fairway wood from TaylorMade in 2019. It features incredible twist face technology and a lightweight graphite shaft for getting the ball in the air fast. This one is a great club not just for the high handicap player but also for the middle and low handicap golfers that need some distance on their fairway woods.
- TWIST FACE: Twist Face is a revolutionary face curvature with a corrective face angle on off-center hits, engineered to reduce side spin and deliver straighter shots
- MULTI-MATERIAL CONSTRUCTION: New head design with a deep face and larger carbon crown provides optimal distance with excellent playability; Discretionary mass is concentrated low in the head to optimize CG while maintaining high MOI
- ADVANCED SPEED POCKET DESIGN: Improved slot flexibility for a larger COR area and better off-center performance, especially on low-face strikes; New TPU slot insert is more flush with the surface for improved turf interaction
Summary of Top 5 Best Fairway Woods for Seniors
There you go. You know have the Top 5 Best Fairway Woods for Senior Golfers. Choosing a new fairway wood can be confusing with all of the options on the market. The good news is that you can’t go wrong with any of the clubs we recommended. How nice would it be to hit some of those long Par 4’s in two again? This may be the club that makes that possible! Cheers!